Hip Pain Treatment Perth
Do you want relief from hip pain? Book online and feel better today with expert hip pain treatment by our experienced physiotherapists who are amongst the highest qualified in the world.
The hip is an extremely important joint, which is subjected to large forces during weight bearing. The large ball and socket joint of the hip is prone to wear and tear, leading to hip osteoarthritis. The soft tissue structures around the hip joint are also vulnerable to injury and are often the cause of significant hip pain. Issues such as gluteal tendinopathy and greater trochanteric bursitis or hip bursitis are very common and disabling conditions. Fortunately My Physio Perth are experts in hip pain treatment.
Causes of Hip Pain
There are a number of potential causes of hip pain, with different activities contributing to stress and strain on the various structures of the hip.
Sporting endeavors are a common cause hip injuries, especially those that involve twisting, cutting and turning movements. Weight lifting is also a common culprit with deep squats often causing hip impingement at the front of the hip.
Weakness or imbalance of the muscles around the hip (gluteal muscles) and trunk (core muscles) can lead to increased stress and strain on the trochanteric bursa or hip bursa located on the side of the hip. Middle aged to elderly people returning to walking after a period of inactivity are most at risk.
Interestingly hip pain can also be the result of referred pain from the lower back.
Regardless of the cause, you can receive effective hip pain treatment Perth from My Physio Sorrento, near Hillarys.
- Greater Trochanteric Bursitis / Hip Bursitis – The greater trochanteric bursa or hip bursa is located over the bony part (greater trochanter) on the outside of the hip. The role of the bursa is to reduce friction between the important gluteal tendons and the greater trochanter lump of bone. Hip bursitis results from increased stress on the hip bursa as a result of overuse, gluteal muscle weakness, muscle tightness, poor biomechanics, etc. Hip bursitis is painful to lay on in bed at night. Read more about bursitis in my bursitis blog here.
- Hip Osteoarthritis / Hip Arthritis – Hip arthritis is extremely common in the elderly population. Hip arthritis is the result of wear and tear of the ball and socket joint over a number of years. As the cartilage wears away, the bone becomes inflamed and results in significant pain. Hip arthritis is commonly felt in the groin, buttock and outside of the thigh. Total hip replacement surgery is very common however you should always trial physiotherapy treatment for hip arthritis before having surgery. Physio treatment for hip arthritis is crucial for increasing hip strength and mobility and in some cases can prolong the life of the hip and delay or prevent surgery. Read more about arthritis here.
- Gluteus Medius Tendinopathy / Hip tendonitis – The gluteal muscles are very important in stabilizing the pelvis when walking and running. Overuse of the gluteal muscles or weakness of these muscles can result in gluteal tendonitis or gluteal tendinopathy. This is a painful condition on the outside of the hip an often presents in combination with hip bursitis. Read more about tendinopathy here.
- Femoro Acetabular Impingement (FAI) / Hip Impingement – Hip impingement occurs when the femur comes into excessive contact with the front of the hip socket known as the acetabulum. Excessive force or repetitive movement can cause the structures at the front of the hip joint to become inflamed. This leads to pain every time the hip is brought into flexion, like squatting, kicking, sitting in a low chair or cycling. Some people are more prone to hip impingement due to the shape of their bones. Others have poor biomechanics, poor technique, muscle weakness or muscle tightness. Physiotherapy for hip impingement can be very effective.
At My Physio Perth’s Sorrento clinic, near Hillarys we will conduct a thorough assessment of your hip in order to fully understand the origin of your pain. Our goal is to reduce your hip pain, restore strength and normal function. Importantly, we always aim for a full rehabilitation, reducing the risk of recurrence in the future.
Early hip diagnosis and hip pain treatment is the key to a fast recovery and reducing the chance of your problem becoming chronic.
Hip Pain Treatment Perth
The physiotherapists at My Physio near Hillarys have become experts in hip pain treatment Perth.
We offer a wide range of services depending on your individual presentation and preference, ranging from massage to manipulation and dry needling. We aim to help you return to normal, pain free function as soon as possible.
- Massage Manual therapy is always a major component of treatment at My Physio Perth. Joint mobilisation and manipulation can be a powerful technique to reduce pain and improve function.
- Joint mobilisation and manipulation: Manual therapy is always a major component of treatment at My Physio Perth. Joint mobilisation and manipulation can be a powerful technique to reduce pain and improve function.
- Taping: Taping can be a powerful method of providing support and easing pain in the acute phase. The Physiotherapists at My Physio Perth’s Sorrento clinic, near Hillarys have developed taping techniques specifically for various types of shoulder pain.
- Dry needling: A modern form of acupuncture, dry needling can reduce pain and improve muscle function. It can help with muscle soreness and tension, joint stiffness and pain and overall well-being.
- Strength training: Specifically designed training programs which increase strength, correct posture and improve muscle tone can not only help with recovery, but also prevent further injury.
- Post operative rehabilitation: Post operative rehabilitation is crucial for a full recovery. At My Physio Sorrento, near Hillarys we have developed excellent professional relationships with leading Perth surgeons and will ensure the line of communication remains open between patient, surgeon and Physiotherapist. We will guide you through the recovery process and back to your desired level of function.