TMJ Treatment Perth
Are you seeking TMJ treatment in Perth for your TMJ pain? Our TMJ physiotherapists excel at TMJ treatment Perth. Don’t put up with frustrating jaw pain that causes headaches and prevents you from eating what you like. Book online for TMJ treatment with our jaw physios.
As the name suggests, the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is the joint between the temporal bone of the skull and the mandible or jaw. The TMJ can be easily felt just in front of the ear when you open and close your mouth. It is a synovial joint, meaning it has a joint capsule and synovial fluid to lubricate and nourish the structures within the joint. We have a TMJ on each side of our jaw, allowing movements including opening of the mouth, side-to-side deviation of the jaw and protrusion and retraction of the jaw. The TMJ has a small articular disc, which is similar to the meniscus in the knee and can become problematic if stressed or injured. Normal TMJ function is critical for speech, chewing, swallowing and dental health.
Do you want relief from jaw pain? Book online and feel better today with expert TMJ treatment by our experienced physiotherapists who are amongst the highest qualified in the world.
What is TMJ Dysfunction (TMD)?
TMJ dysfunction is the term given to an abnormally functioning TMJ or jaw.
TMD can be caused by a number of factors including:
- Trauma to the jaw, e.g. whiplash or a heavy blow
- Grinding or clenching of the teeth
- Repetitive stress to the TMJ by excessive or abnormal chewing habits
- Poor posture
- Stiff neck (cervical spine injuries)
- Muscle imbalances
What are the symptoms of TMJ Dysfunction (TMD)?
TMJ disorders can cause a variety of signs and symptoms.
The most common symptoms of TMJ dysfunction are:
- Pain in the jaw, which is often exacerbated with chewing, yawning, speaking or opening the mouth wide. Pain can also be felt in the face, neck, ear or head.
- Clicking, grinding or popping of the jaw, especially when opening and closing the mouth.
- Locking of the jaw, usually in an open position.
- Stiffness or inability to open the mouth wide.
- Feeling as though the teeth are not aligned properly.
What are some tips to reduce jaw pain?
- Modify your diet to exclude tough foods that require excessive chewing.
- Avoid chewing gum.
- Cut food into small bite size pieces.
- Include more soft foods in your diet.
- Avoid clicking your jaw.
- An ice pack may be helpful.
- Reduce stress in your life if sleep is an issue.
- Avoid sleeping on your stomach.
My Physio Perth will conduct a thorough assessment of your condition in order to fully understand the origin of your pain. Our goal is to reduce your pain, and restore strength and normal function. Importantly, we always aim for a full rehabilitation, reducing the risk of recurrence in the future.
Early diagnosis and treatment is the key to a fast recovery and reducing the chance of your problem becoming chronic.
TMJ Treatment Perth
My Physio Perth Physiotherapists are experts in TMJ treatment Perth. We offer a wide range of services, depending on your individual presentation and preference, ranging from massage to manipulation and dry needling. We aim to help you return to normal, pain free function as soon as possible.
My Physio Perth’s physios can accurately diagnose TMJ dysfunction, determine the cause of your jaw pain and administer a TMJ treatment Perth plan to manage your condition.
Physiotherapy TMJ Treatment Perth May Include:
- Dry needling
- Joint mobilisation
- Postural assessment and correction
- Advice and education about healthy chewing habits.
- Exercises for correct jaw alignment.
- Advice and appropriate referral to a dentist if a night splint is required.
See a TMJ physio today at My Physio Perth’s Sorrento clinic.