Headache Treatment Perth
My Physio Sorrento are experts in headache treatment Perth. Headaches are a very common complaint in a modern society filled with stress, sedentary jobs, fitness fanatics, stimulants, lack of sleep…. the list goes on.
Headaches can be very debilitating and we all know that they affect those around you as much as they do you. The majority of headaches fall into one of three broad categories.
Migraines with or without aura cause severe pain, usually felt in the front of the head.
Tension headaches can be caused by one or more of a number of factors such as those already listed. These are often felt as a strong ache or throbbing sensation on both sides of the skull.
Headaches originating from dysfunction of the neck are termed cervicogenic headaches. These can be felt as an ache, usually at the base of the skull and can be one sided or both.
My Physio Perth are experts in the assessment and various types of headache treatment.
Do you want relief from your headache? Book online and feel better today with expert headache treatment by our experienced physiotherapists who are amongst the highest qualified in the world.
Causes of Headaches
It has been suggested that there could be over 300 causes of headaches but ultimately an irritation of the nerves and related structures in the head and/or neck are to blame.
- Migraines: It is not entirely known what causes migraine headaches but the current theory suggests that a decrease in electrical activity in certain parts of the brain results in an irritation of the nerves and ultimately a headache.
- Tension Headaches: The most common type of headache can be caused by one or more of a number of lifestyle factors. Stress, sleep deprivation, poor posture, hunger, eye strain, noise pollution and caffeine withdrawal are all extremely common causes of the tension headache.
- Cervicogenic headaches: These headaches can develop after trauma such as whiplash or can come on gradually with no apparent cause. They can persist for days or weeks and are often resilient to simple analgesics such as Panadol. Anyone can experience a cervicogenic headache, however those with previous neck trauma, poor posture or stressful lifestyles are most at risk. My Physio Sorrento’s physiotherapists are qualified in cervicogenic headache treatment Perth.
- Muscle tension: Muscle strain or weakness can result in tension and ultimately cause cervicogenic headaches. Our bodies are extremely good at adapting to change but over a long period of time, muscles working in a way that they’re not designed for will become fatigued and may result in a headache.
- Nerve irritation: Vertebral dysfunction can result in irritation of the nerves in the upper neck. These nerves connect to parts of the face and skull, leading to potential headaches.
- Cervical disc bulge: Discs are situated between your bony vertebrae, acting like shock absorbers to reduce stress on your spine. Disc injuries are common and can occur due to sudden movements or from long term postural stress. Disc injuries cause inflammation and pain and in extreme cases can irritate nearby spinal nerves.
- Facet joint sprain: Each of your vertebrae are connected to the one above and below by two joints named facet joints. These joints can be sprained, just like your ankle if you move in an awkward way. If the facet joints become inflamed, you will experience neck pain, limitation of movement and potentially a headache.
My Physio Perth will conduct a thorough assessment of your condition in order to fully understand the origin of your pain. Our goal is to reduce your pain, restore strength and normal function. Importantly, we always aim for a full rehabilitation, reducing the risk of recurrence in the future.
Early diagnosis and treatment is the key to a fast recovery and reducing the chance of your problem becoming chronic.
Headache Treatment Perth
My Physio Perth’s Sorrento physios, near Hillarys have become experts in headache treatment Perth. We offer a wide range of services depending on your individual presentation and preference, ranging from massage to manipulation and dry needling. We aim to help you return to normal, pain free function as soon as possible.
- Massage Muscle tension, spasms or fatigue can all benefit from targeted massage therapy. My Physio Sorrento will work with you to help reduce pain and increase function.
- Joint mobilisation and manipulation: Manual therapy is always a major component of treatment at My Physio Perth. Joint mobilisation and manipulation can be a powerful technique to reduce pain and improve function.
- Taping: Taping can be a powerful method of providing support and easing pain in the acute phase. The Physiotherapists at My Physio Perth’s Sorrento clinic, near Hillarys have developed taping techniques specifically for various types of head and neck pain.
- Dry needling: A modern form of acupuncture, dry needling can reduce pain and improve muscle function. It can help with muscle soreness and tension, joint stiffness and pain and overall well-being.
- Strength training: Specifically designed training programs which increase strength, correct posture and improve muscle tone can not only help with recovery, but also prevent further injury.
- Postural assessment and correction: Spinal posture is a major cause of back pain. At My Physio Perth we are experts in postural assessment and can provide postural advice to ease your pain. Corrective exercises can also help to prevent the development of future problems.