Neck Pain Treatment Perth
My Physio Perth’s Sorrento physiotherapists are experts in neck pain treatment Perth. Neck pain is extremely common and can present in a variety of ways. It can also be associated with upper back pain, shoulder pain and/or headaches. Sufferers of neck pain often complain of a dull aching sensation but can also have sharp pain with movement. Protective muscle spasm and reduction in mobility is common, making daily activities such as driving very difficult.
Do you want relief from neck pain? Book online and feel better with expert neck treatment by our experienced physiotherapists.
Causes of Neck Pain
Acute neck pain can be caused by trauma such as contact sports or car accidents. It is important that any neck pain caused by trauma is assessed by an expert such as a Physiotherapist to exclude serious pathology. More commonly, neck pain is the result of poor posture and modern lifestyle factors such as computer work, study and reading.
As the body deals with one area of dysfunction, nearby muscles and joints are overloaded, potentially leading to shoulder pain, upper back pain and headaches. My Physio Perth are experts in diagnosis and neck pain treatment Perth, striving to identify the cause of your dysfunction.
- Cervical disc bulge: Discs are situated between your bony vertebrae, acting like shock absorbers to reduce stress on your spine. Disc injuries are common and can occur due to sudden movements or from long term postural stress. Disc injuries cause inflammation and pain and in extreme cases can irritate nearby spinal nerves. This can cause radiating arm pain, pins and needles and numbness. My Physio Sorrento are experts in neck pain treatment Perth, including disc injuries and are happy to dispel myths such as the ‘slipped disc.’
- Facet joint sprain: Each of your vertebrae are connected to the one above and below by two joints named facet joints. These joints can be sprained, just like your ankle if you move in an awkward way. If the facet joints become inflamed, you will experience neck pain and limitation in movements, much like a sprained ankle.
- Cervicogenic headaches: Those with neck pain often complain of headaches, especially around the base of the skull. Cervicogenic headaches are caused by dysfunction of one or more structures in the neck. The brain struggles to identify the source of pain so a dull aching sensation results.
- Wry neck: The wry neck is an extremely common cause of neck pain and stiffness. Those who experience a wry neck often struggle to identify any causative factors. They regularly wake with severe pain and stiffness to one side more than the other. Dysfunction is thought to be due to damage of the intravertebral discs or facet joints and can be felt locally in the neck or into the upper back and shoulder.
- Whiplash: Whiplash injuries often result from high velocity impact such as motor vehicle accidents, contact sports and surfing. The head is suddenly thrown forwards or backwards and can result in multiple soft tissue injuries. Pain may be felt in the neck or it may radiate to near-by areas.
My Physio Perth will conduct a thorough assessment of your condition in order to fully understand the origin of your pain. Our goal is to reduce your pain, restore strength and normal function. Importantly, we always aim for a full rehabilitation, reducing the risk of recurrence in the future.
Early diagnosis and treatment is the key to a fast recovery and reducing the chance of your problem becoming chronic.
Neck Pain Treatment Perth
My Physio Sorrento are highly competent in neck pain treatment Perth. We offer a wide range of services depending on your individual presentation and preference, ranging from massage to manipulation and dry needling. We aim to help you return to normal, pain free function as soon as possible.
- Massage Muscle tension, spasms or fatigue can all benefit from targeted massage therapy. My Physio Sorrento will work with you to help reduce pain and increase function.
- Joint mobilisation and manipulation: Manual therapy is always a major component of treatment at My Physio Perth. Joint mobilisation and manipulation can be a powerful technique to reduce pain and improve function.
- Taping: Taping can be a powerful method of providing support and easing pain in the acute phase. The Physiotherapists at My Physio Perth’s Sorrento clinic, have developed taping techniques specifically for various types of neck pain.
- Dry needling: A modern form of acupuncture, dry needling can reduce pain and improve muscle function. It can help with muscle soreness and tension, joint stiffness and pain and overall well-being.
- Strength training: Specifically designed training programs which increase strength, correct posture and improve muscle tone can not only help with recovery, but also prevent further injury.
- Postural assessment and correction: Spinal posture is a major cause of back pain. At My Physio Perth we are experts in postural assessment and can provide postural advice to ease your pain. Corrective exercises can also help to prevent the development of future problems.
- Post operative rehabilitation: Post operative rehabilitation is crucial for a full recovery. My Physio Sorrento have developed excellent professional relationships with leading Perth surgeons and will ensure the line of communication remains open between patient, surgeon and Physiotherapist. We will guide you through the recovery process and back to your desired level of function.
Neck pain is common, affecting up to 70% of us at some stage of our lives. The good news is that our Perth physios commonly resolve neck pain with gentle hands-on treatment and exercises. Even those suffering from long-standing neck pain can benefit from My Physio Perth’s chronic pain management strategies. Causes of Neck…Read More
It’s no surprise that chronic neck pain is highly prevalent in office workers. What you may not know is how simply you can reduce the stress and strain on your neck. Here are 5 simple fixes for neck pain that you must implement now if you haven’t already! They are equally effective for sitting and…Read More
Did you know that up to 18% of the population have a headache at any one time? There are up to 100 varieties of headaches, all causing different types of pain in different areas of your head. Some common headaches include: Migraines without Aura – Migraines are thought to be caused by a chemical imbalance…Read More