Sports Injury Treatment Perth
My Physio Perth have qualified and experienced sports physios who are experts in sports injury treatment Perth. Keeping fit and participating in sport can be a very rewarding experience, however exercise occasionally results in injuries to our muscles, bones, joints, ligaments and tendons. At My Physio Perth’s Sorrento clinic, our sports physiotherapists possess post graduate qualifications, specialising in the prevention, diagnosis and management of sports injuries. We understand the desire to be active and will guide you through a safe return to sport as quickly as possible.
My Physio Sorrento, near Hillarys will ensure you maintain strength and fitness by suggesting safe alternatives if you’re unable to perform your favourite sporting endeavour due to injury. A thorough understanding of the mechanisms leading to your sports injury will enable us to provide an appropriate rehabilitation program to reduce the recurrence of injury in the future.
Do you want to return to sport as quickly as possibly? Book online and feel better today with expert sports injury treatment by our experienced physiotherapists who are amongst the highest qualified in the world.
Sports Injuries fall under two broad categories; contact injuries and non-contact injuries.
Contact sports are notorious for causing painful injuries. Muscle contusions, better known as muscle corks or bruises are the most common sports injury from contact sports. Forceful contact to a joint can also cause ligament sprains of varying severity. It is essential that these are assessed immediately as they can lead to ongoing instability and pain. Regardless of the cause, My Physio Perth will assist in your diagnosis and sports injury treatment Perth.
Non contact injuries occur frequently in sport and exercise, especially when the body is fatigued or subject to unusual forces. These can be acute injuries such as muscle strains and ligament sprains, often caused by twisting, sprinting or sudden movements. Overuse sports injuries such as tendinopathy, more commonly known as tendonitis also fall under the category of non-contact injuries. If you enjoy sport, don’t let injuries stop you – at My Physio Sorrento, near Hillarys we can assist you to recover from your injury as quickly as possible.
- Muscle Soreness: It is normal to have sore, fatigued muscles following intense exercise. This is referred to as DOMS or Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness and generally lasts a couple of days. Many techniques have been suggested to aid the recovery of DOMS but ultimately time should ensure a full resolution of symptoms.
- Muscle Strain: Sometimes muscle soreness is the result of more severe injury such as a strain or tear. My Physio Perth can help to differentiate between DOMS and muscle strains. Generally muscle strains will feel sore when contracting the muscle against resistance and when stretching the muscle. Bruising and weakness may be present in severe cases. It is essential to perform an appropriate rehabilitation program to enable adequate healing and reduce the recurrence of sports injuries like muscle strains in the future.
- Ligament Sprain: Ligaments connect bone to bone, providing significant stability to joints. If these ligaments are stretched beyond their limits, damage and even tearing can occur. Ligament sprains can result from forceful contact, but often an unexpected movement is all that is required. This style of sports injury generally occurs at the ankle, knee, shoulder and wrist but can potentially occur at any joint.
- Contusions: Muscle contusions or corks occur when connective tissue and muscle are crushed from forceful contact. Bleeding within the tissue results in what we all know as a bruise. Most contusions are minor and are not painful unless poked, however deeper, more severe contusions can prevent normal muscle function for an extended period of time. This significant sports injury can benefit from intervention – trust My Physio Perth with your recovery and sports injury treatment Perth.
- Overuse Injuries: Normally our body adapts to the stress of exercise however inadequate training or excessive exposure often poses a problem. Repetitive movement or loading can result in overloaded tissues, leading to a stress response and inflammation. This commonly occurs to soft tissue structures such as muscle, tendon, ligament, cartilage, bursa and nerves. Tendinopathy, more commonly known as tendonitis is the most common overuse injury. In extreme cases, bone can also be affected, leading to stress fractures.
At My Physio Perth’s Sorrento clinic, near Hillarys we will conduct a thorough assessment of your condition in order to fully understand the origin of your pain. Our goal is to reduce your pain, restore strength and normal function. Importantly, we always aim for a full rehabilitation, reducing the risk of recurrence in the future.
Early diagnosis and treatment is the key to a fast recovery and reducing the chance of your problem becoming chronic.
Sports Injury Treatment Perth
My Physio’s Sorrento sports physios have become experts in sports injury treatment Perth.
We offer a wide range of services depending on your individual presentation and preference, ranging from massage to manipulation and dry needling. We aim to help you return to normal, pain free function as soon as possible.
- Massage Muscle tension, spasms or fatigue can all benefit from targeted massage therapy. My Physio Sorrento will work with you to help reduce pain and increase function.
- Joint mobilisation and manipulation: Manual therapy is always a major component of treatment at My Physio Perth. Joint mobilisation and manipulation can be a powerful technique to reduce pain and improve function.
- Taping: Taping can be a powerful method of providing support and easing pain in the acute phase. The Physiotherapists at My Physio Perth’s Sorrento clinic, near Hillarys have developed taping techniques specifically for various types of pain.
- Dry needling: A modern form of acupuncture, dry needling can reduce pain and improve muscle function. It can help with muscle soreness and tension, joint stiffness and pain and overall well-being.
- Strength training: Specifically designed training programs which increase strength, correct posture and improve muscle tone can not only help with recovery, but also prevent further injury.
- Post operative rehabilitation: Post operative rehabilitation is crucial for a full recovery. At My Physio Sorrento, near Hillarys we have developed excellent professional relationships with leading Perth surgeons and will ensure the line of communication remains open between patient, surgeon and Physiotherapist. We will guide you through the recovery process and back to your desired level of function.