My Physio Perth are experts in arthritis treatment in Perth. Arthritis sufferers generally experience joint stiffness and pain due to inflammation, and damage of the cartilage in their joints. It can also result in weakness, instability, and deformities which make everyday activities more and more difficult.
Contrary to common beliefs, there are actually more than 100 types of arthritis. Although Osteoarthritis (OA) is the most common- related to wear and tear of the joint surfaces as part of ageing- many forms of arthritis affect young and otherwise healthy individuals. These inflammatory forms are usually systemic, meaning they affect multiple joints throughout the body. Some of the most common include Rheumatoid Arthritis, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Juvenile arthritis and even Gout.
Do you want relief from arthritic pain? Book online and feel better today with expert arthritis treatment by our experienced physiotherapists who are amongst the highest qualified in the world.
Most Common Forms of Arthritis
- Osteoarthritis: Thin, shiny cartilage lines the end of bones to help with the smooth movement of joints. Over time, this cartilage can become worn in certain areas, resulting in what we commonly hear as ‘bone on bone’ grinding. This underlying bone becomes very inflamed and painful, resulting in stiffness and pain. It is most common in the weight-bearing joints such as the hip and knee but can occur in any joint throughout the body. Osteoarthritis generally affects people over the age of 45 (but can occur in those who are younger) and tends to develop gradually over an extended period of time. The team at My Physio Perth’s Sorrento clinic can provide expert advice, arthritis treatment Perth and rehabilitation to help you manage your Osteoarthritis. In extreme cases, we can recommend Orthopaedic Specialists if you require surgical intervention.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: Rheumatoid can be considered an autoimmune disease which results in pain and swelling of the joints. In people suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis some of the cells of the immune system attack the lining of joints rather than protecting them. The cause remains uncertain, but it is more common in smokers or those with a family history. My Physio Perth’s Sorrento clinic, near Hillarys can help you with arthritis treatment Perth and recommend Rheumatologists to assist with your disease.
- Psoriatic Arthritis: Psoriasis is generally considered a skin condition but approximately 1 in 10 sufferers will also develop joint pain, stiffness and swelling.
- Ankylosing Spondylitis: Ankylosing Spondylitis is another autoimmune condition causing inflammation of the joints of the spine and sacroiliac joints. This can cause severe stiffness and even fusing the vertebrae of the spine. It is essential that this condition is diagnosed and managed early, so call My Physio Perth’s Sorrento physiotherapy clinic near Hillarys if you require assistance.
At My Physio Perth we will conduct a thorough assessment of your condition in order to fully understand the origin of your pain. Our goal is to reduce your pain, and restore strength and normal function. Importantly, we always aim for a full rehabilitation, reducing the risk of recurrence in the future.
Early diagnosis and treatment is the key to a fast recovery and reducing the chance of your problem becoming chronic.
Arthritis Treatment Perth
My Physio Perth have become experts in the treatment of arthritis. We offer a wide range of services, depending on your individual presentation and preference, ranging from massage to manipulation and dry needling. It is also important that you develop appropriate muscle strength and understand how to manage your arthritis. My Physio Perth strives in assisting you to return to function as soon as possible.
- Massage: Muscle tension, spasms or fatigue can all benefit from targeted massage therapy. My Physio Sorrento will work with you to help reduce pain and increase function.
- Joint mobilisation and manipulation: Manual therapy is always a major component of treatment at My Physio Perth. Joint mobilisation and manipulation can be a powerful technique to reduce pain and improve function.
- Taping: Taping can be a powerful method of providing support and easing pain in the acute phase. The Physiotherapists at My Physio Perth’s Sorrento clinic, near Hillarys have developed taping techniques specifically for various types of arthritic pain.
- Dry needling: A modern form of acupuncture, dry needling can reduce pain and improve muscle function. It can help with muscle soreness and tension, joint stiffness and pain and overall well-being.
- Strength training: Specifically designed training programs which increase strength, correct posture and improve muscle tone can not only help with recovery, but also prevent further injury.
- Postural assessment and correction: Spinal posture is a major cause of back pain. At My Physio Perth we are experts in postural assessment and can provide postural advice to ease your pain. Corrective exercises can also help to prevent the development of future problems.